May 9, 2014

Feeling fullfilled in language learning...what?

Hello people!

Today I am writing from a school library, because my life took unexpectable turn, and I completely forgot about the fact that my first lesson will star earlier plus that it will take place somewhere else.
It's cool though because I can reflect upon my life, finish some papers (if I have any) and in addition to that I can write a post that I have been planing on writing a very long time.

Sometimes I feel like a cheater when it comes to language learning. All of my languages are very similar to the languages I already know, so when I say to some people "I am learning Norwegian" they just look at me weirdly like "Learning Norwegian is easy when you know Swedish you loser" and then I am starting to think that I don't feel like I accomplished anything "nice".  I am not thinking about suprising other people, but I would like to surpise myself. Prove to myself that I can learn Xhosa, Arabic or Monolian and I think that I will have to learn some very "foreign" language to really satisfy my "linguistic needs"

But wait...

In this post I will try to prove to myself (and you too, if you need that encouragement) that no matter what language you are studying - it still takes time and hard work

Norwegian isn't easy. It isn't easy for me because my Swedish completely interferes with it. I still have to learn new words, listen and struggle to get to the point when I can really say that I speak Norwegian. Right now, I speak Swedish with many Norwegian words (Not other way around) and it will take time untill I will acquire a good pronunciation so people won't think that I speak Swedish (It has taken place when I spoke with one person on Skype. She thought that I was speaking Swedish, when it actually was my broken Norwegian drowned in overly melodic Swedish accent). Maybe I shouldn't be so self-conscious and just notice that I am definitely working hard and I don't need to study Latin to prove it. Easy language, hard language - bullshit! EVERY LANGUAGE takes time to learn and I finally understood it.

If you ever feel like a cheater or somebody who doesn't work as hard as others because you learn the "easy" languages, think about those who never learn a language...

I hope that this post will give you something to think about. I don't care that my languages are all similar. Even better...I will learn all of the Germanic languages and then Slavic too, so take that you dumb and incompetent brain of mines!



No comments:

Post a Comment